Reason why Deontay Wilder rejected latest fight proposal revealed

Dentoay Wilder turned down a multi-million-dollar heavyweight title unification fight with Anthony Joshua after learning the Brit would earn twice as much as him, his promoter Shelly Finkel has claimed.

 

Deontay Wilder and Anthony Joshua were in talks to face one another in a mega-money bout last year.

 

The pair’s respective teams couldn’t hash out a deal, though, which led to Joshua fighting Alexander Povetkin and Wilder facing Tyson Fury.

 

There was fresh hope the fight would come fruition earlier this year when Wilder entered negotiations with DAZN, who broadcast Joshua’s fights in the United States.

The Alabama native, however, failed to reach an agreement with DAZN and has since signed on to fight Dominic Breazeale, whom he’ll face on May 18.

According to Finkel, DAZN did offer the WBC heavyweight the opportunity to unify the division but provided an unacceptable purse split.

 

During an appearance on Sirius XM’s At The Fights, Finkel said: “The amount of money that was offered by DAZN was a lot of money.

 

“But it’s not a lot if you find out later that Joshua got double that. In any case, the first fight was going to be [Dominic] Breazeale.

 

“On May 18, the fighter we were always going to fight once we lost [Tyson] Fury

 

“And instead of it being on DAZN it’s on Showtime. We believe this is a lot better for the fans.

 

“Because you’re going to be seen by millions instead of tens or hundreds of thousands of people.”

 

It’s highly unlikely Joshua vs Wilder will be booked this year given the current landscape of the heavyweight division.

 

Joshua’s promoter Eddie Hearn has desperately tried to make the super-fight happen and has grown frustrated with the ongoing saga.

 

“I feel like we’ve done absolutely all we can,” Hearn told Sky Sports when asked about a potential winter showdown between ‘AJ’ and Wilder.

 

“But again, I think less is more at this stage. Our job is to deliver the undisputed fight.

 

“It’s been frustrating and I think people are beginning to see the truth. But again, I’ll be quiet for now and let that truth unfold.”

 

Joshua, 29, will return to the ring on June 1, taking on the undefeated Jarrell ‘Big Baby’ Miller at Madison Square Garden.

Facebook Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *