Former world heavyweight champion Frank Bruno has revealed he is on the mend after being treated for pneumonia in hospital.
The 57-year-old had been admitted to Horton General hospital in Banbury, his agent said on Monday.
Bruno was doing a meet and greet with over 200 fans when he started to feel unwell, which led to him being rushed to hospital.
A source who was at the event said Bruno was in such pain, he started to stamp his feet and cry, however, at the time, the legendary boxer thought he just had a virus.
Little did he know just how serious it truly was.
In a tweet posted on Thursday morning, Bruno wrote: “Good Morning. Thank you for all the well wishes I’ve been reading them all 🙏🏽I feel like I’m finally starting to mend. I’ve certainly never felt so ill. Pneumonia… you’ve been a knockout!”
Bruno, one of Britain’s most popular sportsmen, won the WBC heavyweight title at the fourth attempt when he beat American Oliver McCall at Wembley in September 1995.
He had previously lost title bouts to Tim Witherspoon, in 1986, Mike Tyson in 1989 and Lennox Lewis in 1993.
Last week marked the 30th anniversary of Bruno’s most famous fight, when he took on the fearsome Tyson at his peak
Then aged 27, Bruno rocked the American champion with a left hook in the early stages, only for Tyson to recover and win in the fifth round.
Bruno’s final professional bout was a third-round defeat by Tyson in March 1996, the first defence of his world title.
A regular ringside spectator, Bruno was pictured looking fit and healthy at the fight between Chris Eubank Jr and James Degale on February 23.
Yesterday afternoon, after hearing about Bruno’s condition, current British boxer Tyson Fury sent his well wishes to the legend, wishing him a speedy recovery.