Carl Froch tells Eddie Hearn he will come out of retirement for George Groves trilogy… Groves responds

Since retiring from boxing, Carl Froch has taken up a new pastime – winding up the boxing public.

The former three-time super-middleweight world champion has become renowned for causing outrage with various comments in recent months, almost always employing his dry wit in the process.

When former rivals George Groves and James DeGale retired earlier this year, Froch made headlines with his controversial ‘tributes’ to them.

He’s since reunited with Groves for a Sky punditry gig in which the ‘Saint’ had the last laugh, however now it’s the ‘Cobra’ who has got everyone talking once again.

Froch told iFL TV with a straight face: “I’m not being funny or anything, but I’m happy for Froch vs Groves III. You’re talking about 175lbs, I can make 175lbs…

“Definitely, even though I am enjoying retirement, there’s definitely one more left in me.”

The 41-year-old, who quit boxing after his second victory over Groves in 2014, arrived in Las Vegas on Thursday ahead of the Canelo Alvarez vs Daniel Jacobs fight.

Upon his entry to the media centre, he greeted his old promoter Eddie Hearn and told him about his trilogy comeback ‘plan’ in front of a group of reporters

“I don’t think he’ll have it, but if he wants it… It does a million [pay-per-view] buys,” Froch said to an amused Hearn.

“I think catchweight, 175lbs would probably be the lowest. I don’t think he’d even make 175lbs, I’m not giving him stick.

“I’m alright at a catchweight, I don’t mind giving a few pounds away.”

Groves responded to the clips with a tweet which indicated that he, like many, is refusing to take Froch seriously.

He posted: “Mate, I’ve retired you once, don’t make me do it again.”

However, Froch then replied: “Listen up ‘Grovesy Boy,’ your banter gets you nowhere but horizontal. And let’s be honest ‘mate’ it’s not a hard one to make.”

Facebook Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *